How to Get a Utah Contractors License

Category: Uncategorized
Published: Jan 12, 2018
Utah Contractors License

Individuals or businesses planning on engaging in construction work in the state of Utah are required to obtain a contractor license from the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.

Besides meeting a number of requirements, all contractors need to pass a Business and Law exam. A trade specific exam is required for some of the licenses, too. Along with the rest of the documents that need to be submitted as part of the licensing application, a contractors license bond must be obtained.

Let’s take a look at the specific steps of obtaining a Utah contractors license.

Utah Contractors License Classifications

There’s a number of different contractor license classifications, depending on the field of your future work. The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing requires a license for the following classifications:

  • General Building
  • Residential/Small Commercial
  • General Engineering
  • General Electrical Work
  • Residential Electrical Work
  • General Plumbing
  • Residential Plumbing

All contractors are required to pass a Business and Law exam before moving on to completing and submitting their application. Some of the classifications require a trade examination, also. A copy of the test results must be submitted along with the rest of the supporting documents.

Let’s go over what else do contractors need to prepare in order to get their license in Utah.

Utah Contractor License Requirements

When applying for a contractor license, the business or individual will need to appoint a qualifier, a person who will demonstrate the necessary experience and knowledge. In this case, the requirement is a minimum of two years experience in construction, completed in the last 10 years.

Along with the Business and Law exam and the Trade exam that some specifications require, the applicants will need to complete a pre-license education course. If you are applying on behalf of an entity you will have to register with the Utah Division of Corporations.

Here’s what else you need to prepare for the application process:

  • Get a general liability insurance; at least $100,000 per incident and $300,000 aggregate.
  • Obtain a Utah contractors license bond
  • Complete a Utah contractor license application form
  • Pay an application fee

All supporting documents, along with the complete application form need to be sent via mail to the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. The Utah contractor license renewal is every two years, unless otherwise specified. Licenses expire on November 30th of odd-numbered years, regardless of the year when you first acquired your license.

Obtaining Your Utah Contractors License Bond

An essential part of the licensing process for Utah contractors is posting a contractor license bond. The purpose of this bond is to guarantee that all contractors planning on conducting their business in Utah comply with the state laws when executing their work. If the rules and regulations are to be violated by the contractor, they can face a claim on the bond.

The bond amount varies depending on the type of contractor license, usually from $15,000 to $100,000. The financial situation of the applicant is also defining in the cost formation. It’s important to keep in mind that the bond premium is just a percentage of the whole amount. Factors such as your personal credit score will affect the formation of the bonding rate but it usually ranges between 1%-3% for a standard applicant. Applicants with bad or no credit will usually get a rate in the range of %3-%10.

Are you ready to start your Utah contractor licensing and bonding process? You can receive a free bond quote from Lance Surety Bonds. Just contact us online or call 877.514.5146

The following two tabs change content below.
Victor Lance is the founder and president of Lance Surety Bond Associates, Inc. He began his career as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps, serving two combat tours. As president of Lance Surety, he now focuses on educating and assisting small businesses throughout the country with various license and bond requirements. Victor graduated from Villanova University with a degree in Business Administration and holds a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business.

Latest posts by Victor J. Lance, President/Owner (see all)